CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, April 6, 2008

The Chick Flick Formula

Alright, I promised my wife I would post this, so here it is. It's nothing new; I've heard it used before. However, I told Sonia about it a month or so ago and she claimed I was insane and even had the tenacity to tell me I was wrong. :) Since then, she has not been able to prove her point and I have...multiple times.

Here's the deal...there's a formula when it comes to chick flicks. I have to admit that I can handle a good chick flick from time to time (as long as she watches Braveheart with me). However, it gets very predictable after time. Take the following list as an example.

In my opinion, for a movie to be a chick flick, it has to follow these guidelines and qualifications:

1) Two separate stories with bad relationships or botched relationships in the past.
2) By some freak accident, event, coincidence, etc., these two stories collide and it's love at first sight (even if they don't "show" it at first e.g. 10 Things I Hate About You).
3) Through time spent around each other, things start to click.
4) As they start to get close and you think nothing could go wrong (except for Meet the Parents), something goes wrong (Murphy's Law?).
5) They fight and split ways and spend the next few days or hours crying, splurging, drinking, etc.
6) An epiphany happens either through self-reflection or friends or mothers and the girl or guy has to go win the other back.
7) Cue the cheesy music and the couple reunites with tears in the eyes. The one who screwed up apologizes profusely and begs to take him/her back.
8) With jubilee, they embrace, make out, and go home and make babies...or something like that.

It happens again and again in chick flick after chick flick. I told Sonia about this and she agreed but decided to make it her mission to prove me wrong. Basically, still waiting...

I'm so putting this up on Wikipedia for the "Chick Flick Formula." I bet that wouldn't get edited at all...

5 comments:

mrs a. said...

Even though we went through ALL of our chick flicks and at my hesitance they do match your so called "formula"...i WILL find one that doesn't...

you'll see

Anonymous said...

your "formula" is very true!:)...but the chick flick "500 days of summer" doesn't fit the criteria!

Anonymous said...

Howbout the Titanic? this is the highest grossing chick flick ever made. It doesnt neccessarily follow the formula but chicks love it so im thinkin maybe there is more to this forumla.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

i have also made it my mission to unravel the chick flick formula!
thanks for putting up your ideas.

and i think the point isnt to find something outside of the formula - the formula is interesting because it says something about our mentality and expectations - if you want to find a different formula watch some asian dramas!