CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, December 8, 2007

Don't Take Christmas Away From Me...

Okay, now that it is officially December...we can start talking Christmas. I love Christmas--for lots of reasons. The sad thing is that I have heard from some people over the years that we should stop supporting so many things during Christmas. The Hallmark-ization of the holiday, the materialistic focus, the bitter shopping trips, selfishness, greediness, family feuds (not the cool game show), etc. The list goes on. Have you heard one of these excuses from someone who just can't stand Christmas or what Christmas has become over the years? Did we forget baby Jesus? I'm sorry people, but I think there are still a lot of things about Christmas that baby Jesus would be ecstatic about.

Almost every year, my extended family and immediate family get together at my grandma's house in Ohio. It is a small house and the average number of people is somewhere around 15 and growing. The house can really only sleep 2...okay that was a bit of an overstatement, but you get the point. However tight the sleeping arrangements are, it is a BLAST! I shudder at saying the word "tradition," but we have a lot of it as a family when it comes to Christmas. I was telling Sonia about these the other night and they are pretty extensive, but all very cool. I'll spare you all the details, but these things are what I think of when I think of Christmas. Most of all, I love hanging out with the people I love. I also think of buying presents (for people who need and don't "need" them), seeing town streets decorated with lights and wreaths, and driving slower just to see what that house has for lights and decorations this year. I love how businesses start thinking Christmas and decorating and putting out the cinnamon potpourri. I love giving gifts to people. Not because they need more stuff or so I can have debt, but because it feels good and it is a way that I can show love. It's not vital to the season, but I love doing it. I don't give with expectations of receiving. It is just fun for me to put thought into gifts and to give them to people on Christmas.

Christmas is something special to everyone. There are many things that people love about the season. Some people get it more than others, some people love it more than others. I totally understand people who don't take Christmas to the extreme. I am not pushing Christmas down your throat if you are one of these people. But to those who are trying to push anti-Christmas, anti-giving, anti-materialism, anti-selfishness, anti-greed, anti-Hallmark, etc. down my throat: PLEASE...don't take Christmas away from me...

Have a blessed and happy Christmas! It is a great season because it teaches us to love, give without expectations, spend time together, and cherish God's gifts to us...including Jesus. These are things that I think would make baby Jesus smile and giggle. Yay for that!