CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Walk

You've all heard some variation of the cliche, "Slow down or life will pass you by." Maybe someone is telling you to read the road signs along the way. Maybe someone is telling you to hold the hand of your friend who is falling behind. Either way, we all have heard the clever illustrations and the cliche continues to be run into the ground...

However, I'm a big fan of redundant, yet IMPORTANT messages. I like messages that are important and repetitive. There are few things that excite me more than things we hear over and over again that seem to be really important. You get the point yet? I have been told too many times to not speed, yet I get a ticket again and again. I know I shouldn't eat that Twinkie because it is bad for my health, but I'll take two instead. We all have messages in life that are important and sometimes we choose to brush them off because we think they don't relate to us.

The speed of life is one of those things, I think. No one really thinks they are moving too fast. You know, more than 75% of drivers think they are better drivers than everyone else on the road. No one really thinks the cliches are directed toward THEM. Surely not. Well, guess what? This cliche, "Slow down or life will pass you by," is for YOU. Too many times we miss out on those important things that God wants us to really enjoy.

When was the last time you appreciated the slow drive through cornfield-filled Nebraska (if you haven't had the "joy" of this trip, I suggest you try it)? Have you ever really walked out the front door on the first day of spring and taken a deep breath to enjoy? Have you gone to a baseball game and gotten stuffed on $5 hotdogs just for fun lately? The list could go on.

My challenge for myself and maybe for you is to slow down. Walking is a lot easier and allows us to enjoy the view. So, before you jump in the car and go to work, take a walk in the brisk air of the summer morning, give your loved one a hug for no particular reason, watch a home video from your childhood.... And don't forget to...WALK...

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very thoughtful post...I think the next time my daughter wants me to watch a movie with her (she is 17) that I will SLOW DOWN, and watch a movie that I really don't care about seeing, just because I want her to know that I care about spending time with her ! Maybe not exactly what you touched on...but your writing brought to mind that I should take the time to show others they are loved and important not just tell them.