CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Socks

You know how after a couple of months, a couple of loads, a couple of foldings, you end up with a few extra socks that don't have a match? When I was in college, this happened about every load. No matter what I did, I would always end up with one extra sock. Have you ever been there? The funny thing is, we never want to just throw that sock away and give up hope. We put it aside in our regular sock drawer (so it doesn't feel left out), and we wait for the next load. Maybe then, another sock will come up missing and the two loners will end up matching each other. However, we all know that this rarely happens. So, you end up with more unmatched pairs of socks than you have matched pairs!

Today was one of those rare days in history when I was looking through my sock drawer for some socks and I found a match amongst the loners! I decided that I wanted to wear short ankle socks, so I found one of those loners in there. Lo and behold, I dug a little more and I found a matching ankle sock! I was so happy and I thought, "this doesn't happen very often." I could almost hear my wife cheering gleefully (she REALLY enjoys the simple things in life). But it made me think...

Isn't that how it is when God finds us again? I mean we're meant to be together. We're a perfect match. I'm an ankle sock, you're a knee-high soccer sock, she's a girlie toe-sock. But we all are meant to find our perfect match--God. And when in that one moment, when no one expects it, we finally do find that match, it is a joyous occasion. Are you a loner sock that hasn't found it's match yet (and I'm not talking about a girl/guy)? Are you hoping that someday someone will cheer when you find that matching sock? Well, I for one will be cheering loudly that day! The Bible says the angels will rejoice when the prodigal son returns home to God. I love to join in when that day comes!

There's just something special about a matching pair of socks...especially when you had given up hope for so long and were ready to throw the loner away. Keep looking loner socks...your match may be closer than you think. God bless.

2 comments:

mrs a. said...

i'm not going to lie, i got teary eyed when i read this. i'm not sure if it was because the whole observation was awesome or if it was because you found that lost sock...but.....that is just.....neat

Bethany Kay said...

wow...i like this, a lot. man...its so easy to relate to since everyone knows that "searching for the lost sock" feeling. good parallel!