CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, September 7, 2007

Seasons

This won't be the last time I say anything about this. It hasn't been the first time someone has said something about this. But to me...it's awesome to think about.

Do you remember in elementary Geography class when we learned about all the different climates in the world? I don't remember much of it, but I do remember that North America is one of the few places in the world that actually experience FOUR seasons of change. Now, the world knows the four seasons, we all base our timelines and schedules around them. Winter may not have as much significance in Egypt as it does in the U.S.; however, it is still called winter.

For as long as I have been on this planet, I have lived in the prime location for the recognition of the changing seasons. The midwest may be one the best places to experience that. Today I stepped outside on a normal early September day and realized something different. It was hot as usual, but not that hot. There is still a bit of humidity holding on for dear life. But the sky was cloudy and the wind was picking up. I took a deep breath and automatically thought..."Autumn is near..." Have you ever tried to pinpoint the first day that the weather takes a turn for the next season? Now, I'm not sure if this is documented anywhere, but this might be that first day that the season took a turn from Summer into Autumn. I felt it in the air.

I remembered the way the sun tries so hard to be seen in Autumn. I remembered the wind picking up everyday to clear the old leaves off the trees to make way for new life. I remembered most of all the smell of Autumn. Do you know the smell I'm talking about? Maybe it's different for everyone, but I smelled that today and I knew that Autumn is on its way. I know that the first official day of Autumn isn't until September 21st, but I feel like Mother Nature is one step ahead of us saying, "You think you know me? I'll change whenever I feel like it!" Good for you Mother Nature. Thank you for keeping us on our toes.

Some people never know what the difference is between Summer and Winter...Fall and Spring. They know that is what the time of year is called, but they've never seen it. Some people have never seen snow, heard a thunderstorm, or even seen much rain. These are the things we take for granted...the things I take for granted. What will you celebrate today as Autumn is upon us and Winter is ever nearer? Take some time to appreciate the beauty of seasons, especially if you're in a place that knows all about season changes. God bless.

0 comments: